Bulletin Board Calendar of events relating to homes and gardens_.
Calendar of events relating to homes and gardens_.
Tree Stewards Training: Learn about tree biology, selection, pruning and more Jan. 10-March 20; meetings are 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays at the Round House, Byrd Park. $75-$100; advance registration requested. www.richmondtreestewards.wordpress.com.
Holiday House Tours: Lavishly decorated homes across the region open for tours during the holiday season. Phone numbers are area code (804) unless noted.
Today: Woodland Heights (Richmond): Eight homes open 1-5 p.m. $15. www.woodlandheightsva.org or 363-8758.
- Today: Westmoreland Place (Richmond): St. Catherine's School sponsors a tour of four homes on Virginia Avenue and Rolfe Road, 1-4 p.m. $25. 305-0464.
- Saturday: Amelia County: Historic Mattoax Church and six homes in Oak Springs Plantation subdivision, sponsored by Amelia County Garden Club, open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. $20 block ticket, $5 per house. 357-7765.
- Saturday-Dec. 11: Fan District (Richmond): Nine homes on or near the 1500 block of Park Avenue, plus 2710 Monument Ave., open 1-5 p.m. $25 in advance, $30 day of tour. www.fantourrichmond.com or 683-9343.
- Saturday-Dec. 11: Reedville: Christmas on Cockrell's Creek opens six waterfront homes, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Dec. 10 and 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Dec. 11. $25 in advance, $30 day of tour; includes house tour, boat shuttles between houses and tablescape display at Reedville Fishermen's Museum. www.rfmuseum.org or 453-6529.
- Dec. 11: Church Hill (Richmond): More than a dozen homes, plus Belleview Elementary School and Leigh Street Baptist Church, open noon-5 p.m. $15 in advance, $20 day of tour. www.churchhillrichmond.com or 647-3140.
- Dec. 11: Petersburg: Historic Petersburg Foundation tour of six houses in two historic districts, 1-5 p.m. $20. www.historicpetersburg.org or 732-2096.
- Dec. 14: Wyndham (Henrico County): Wyndham Garden Club opens seven homes, 4-7 p.m. in three Wyndham neighborhoods. $10. 360-4024 or 399-1112.
Williamsburg Christmas Decorations Walking Tour: Guided look at exteriors and streets and info about all-natural decorations, 9:15 and 11 a.m., 1:30 and 3:15 p.m. Monday-Dec. 31 (except Dec. 25, when tours are at 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.) in Colonial Williamsburg. $15; $10 with CW admission pass. www.colonialwilliamsburg.com or (800) 477-8679.
Lewis Ginter Programs: Increase your gardening know-how at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden, 1800 Lakeside Ave.:
- Tuesday: Ginter in the Morning: Seasonal guided garden walk, 10 a.m., $15; free to members.
- Saturday: "Fairy Houses": Workshop on construction of the whimsical fairy houses made of dried natural materials that accompany the garden's GardenFest train displays, 9 a.m.-noon (adults) or 1:30-4:30 p.m. (adult/child), $45-$56 single adult or adult/child pair.
Registration is required for all classes. To register or for course information, visit www.lewisginter.org or call (804) 262-9887.
Deck Your Halls Marketplace: Chesterfield Historical Society offers Christmas decorations, fresh green arrangements, wreaths, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Friday-Saturday at Castlewood, 10201 Iron Bridge Road, Chesterfield. Sales benefit Chesterfield Historical Society. www.chesterfieldhistory.com or (804) 797-7121.
Orchid Sale and Auction: Virginia Orchid Society sponsors a sale from noon-1 p.m. and auction from 1-3 p.m. of orchids in bud and bloom Dec. 11 at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden, 1800 Lakeside Ave. www.vaorchidsociety.org.
-- Pat Row